Monday, April 23, 2018

Thanos Week! Secret Origins: Thanos

Greetings, Groove-ophiles! Well, this is it! The big week when Avengers: Infinity War hits the big screen here in the U.S. Young Groove had an extremely vivid and memorable dream one night waaaay back in 1973 in which The Avengers and tons of other Marvel super-heroes fought aliens out to destroy earth. I'm thinkin' this movie might be as close to that dream as I'll ever see! Of course, the big hoopla is gonna surround the flick's major villain Thanos, Jim Starlin's college creation. Thanos has become (since the 90s, especially) THE villain to bring the Marvel Universe together in comicbook battle, so is it any wonder Hollywood is using all those Infinity Gauntlet/War/etc. comics as their inspiration? The question some movie-goers might still be asking is the same question most of my family members asked me when we saw the after-credits scene in The Avengers (2012): Who is that purple guy?

Well, we all know he'll be similar-yet-very-different from his comicbook counterpart, but still, seeing the condensed version of our favorite Mad Titan's origin from the legendary Avengers Annual #7 (August 1977) might be at least of some help. Besides, any excuse to see some far-out Jim Starlin/Joe Rubinstein art is A-Okay here in Groove City, right?




And, yep, this was the first time Thanos tried to get all'a those Infinity Gems together for his own pernicious plans!

Be back tomorrow for the comicbook scenes Ol' Groove HOPES will be in Avengers: Infinity War!

8 comments:

  1. This comic blew my mind when I was nine years old and it continues to blow my mind today. A tragic space opera on a cosmic scale. It took me years of hunting down back issues to fully understand what was going on here.
    I enjoyed every minute of it!

    M.P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The older I get, the greater regard and admiration I have for the work of Jim Starlin. His drawing holds up to time extremely well. Thanos has been overworked in my opinion (Joker anyone?), but in the hands of Starlin at least we know he's headed where his creator wants.

    Rip Off

    ReplyDelete
  3. Avengers Annual # 7 was one of the greatest comics ever published (I put it at # 2 in my personal rankings right after Avengers # 93. Something about those Avengers titles). This first pairing of Starlin and Rubinstein still causes drooling for the comic art lover 41 years later. I told Joe Rubinstein that I thought it was one of the best ink jobs he ever did (Along with the companion Marvel-Two-In-One Annual # 2) and he agreed. Amazing since he was only 19 at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Disappointed with the movies way too much myself. Especially not getting Adam Warlock & Capt.Mar-Vell first. Sadly I'm losing my interest in all these superhero movies on a mass scale. DC is all dark & bleak except WW. DC's best since the Chris Reeve Superman I & II. Marvel has gotten way too silly & PC.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome post! More like this please!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is how I like Thanos, as said, he became nearly invincible, but could be beaten. Now he's basically Galactus, which makes a character rather boring when there's no weaknesses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanos Week! Secret Origins: Thanos
    Greetings, Groove-ophiles! Well, this is it! The big week when Avengers: Infinity War hits the big screen here in the U.S. Young Groove had an extremely vivid and memorable dream one night waaaay back in 1973 in which The Avengers and tons of other Marvel super-heroes fought aliens out to destroy earth. I'm thinkin' this movie might be as close to that dream as I'll ever see! Of course, the big hoopla is gonna surround the flick's major villain Thanos, Jim Starlin's college creation. Thanos has become (since the 90s, especially) THE villain to bring the Marvel Universe together in comicbook battle, so is it any wonder Hollywood is using all those Infinity Gauntlet/War/etc. comics as their inspiration? The question some movie-goers might still be asking is the same question most of my family members asked me when we saw the after-credits scene in The Avengers (2012): Who is that purple guy? http://diversionsofthegroovykind.blogspot.com/2018/04/thanos-week-secret-origins-thanos.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+DiversionsOfTheGroovyKind+%28Diversions+of+the+Groovy+Kind%29

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!