Wednesday, September 20, 2017

R.I.P. Basil Gogos

Sigh. Seems like this is becoming a weekly thing, but that's they way it is. As most of you probably already know, Basil Gogos passed away last Thursday (11/14/17). Those of us who grew up during the Groovy Age know Gogo's art well because, though he painted many a book and magazine cover, to us, he was the ultimate monster portrait artist with his Famous Monsters of Filmland covers. Even non-comics lovers dug FM (and yeah, FM wasn't a comic, but you get my drift), baby, and Gogos' covers were a big part of what made those mags so cool. Can't think of a better way to pay respects than to share a ghoulish gallery of his awesome artistry...









4 comments:

  1. Well now I regret even more missing the Planet Comicon in Kansas City this past May where Basil Gogos was a featured guest. I have a sense of urgency in attending cons any more as a lot of the talent I grew up on are entering their late 60s, early 70s and passing from the scene. At least Neal Adams is hanging in there at 76 and Stan Lee at 93.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was very sorry to hear of his passing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! And I mean that as a complement. Had I seen one of these covers as a kid I would have gone half-nuts, considering my love of the classic movie monsters.
    Great stuff this, and a nice tribute. Thanks for sharing it Groove, I enjoyed it.

    M.P.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!